What is proposed?
We recently sought feedback on an upgrade of the existing pedestrian crossing at Memorial Drive to a raised pedestrian crossing, and upgrade of the existing refuge island on Bar Beach Avenue.
The proposed upgrades will improve safety and accessibility for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users at Bar Beach.
Stage 1 works include:
- Upgrade of the existing pedestrian crossing on Memorial Drive to a raised pedestrian crossing, with provision for a future priority crossing for cyclists.
- Removal of the existing refuge island on Memorial Drive.
- Installation of landscaped kerb extensions to reduce the crossing distance and improve sightlines for pedestrians.
- Construction of a new median to prevent u-turns at the crossing.
Stage 2 works include:
- Upgrade of the existing pedestrian refuge on Bar Beach Avenue to cater for cyclists.
- Providing a new shared path connection between Bar Beach Avenue and the raised pedestrian crossing, creating a new cycling connection between Bathers Way and Bar Beach.
- Upgrade of street lighting to meet relevant Australian Standards (subject to lighting assessment).
Why are we proposing these upgrades?
The existing crossing between Empire Park and Cooks Hill Surf Club requires pedestrians to cross in three stages, using a refuge island on Memorial Drive, and an island between Memorial Drive and the carpark exit. The current staged crossing creates confusion for some drivers and the length of this crossing limits accessibility for pedestrians.
A cycling connection between Bar Beach and Parkway Avenue was identified in our Newcastle Cycling Plan 2021-2030 to improve access and connectivity.
The proposed upgrades will improve safety, accessibility and align with best practice design principles.
Thanks for having your say!
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the proposed upgrade of the existing crossing at Memorial Drive and refuge island on Bar Beach Avenue to improve safety for all road users. We are currently reviewing your feedback and will report back soon.