City of Newcastle, in partnership with the NSW Government, is planning for Broadmeadow's future, with a high-level plan called a 'Place Strategy'. This plan will see more housing, employment opportunities, public spaces and facilities developed in the area.
Broadmeadow’s central location, existing and future public transport opportunities, Government owned land and large industrial sites provide an opportunity for urban renewal.
Hunter Park, the NSW Government's vision for a sports and entertainment precinct, is also located at Broadmeadow which adds to the significant transformation opportunity in this area.This Place Strategy will act as a blueprint for how the precinct will change over time, looking at the infrastructure, opportunities and constraints, and highlighting the planning controls needed to enhance the precinct for both current and future residents.
What does this involve?
The NSW Government announced $73.5m towards the Rezoning Pathways Program – an initiative designed to unlock 70,000 homes across NSW. The Broadmeadow precinct has been identified as an important area for growth to occur.
As a first step, City of Newcastle is developing a place strategy outlining a 30-year vision for the area, which will help guide future land use and infrastructure investment in the area.
Department of Planning and Environment will draft a discussion paper to support the initial State-led rezoning process. The proposed rezoning will be in line with the place strategy and will deliver more homes in the precinct.
Thanks for having your say!
Between the 24 April – 13 June 2023 an online survey was available for the community to share their views, and to prioritise key aspects planned for the precinct.
Thank you for completing our survey and sharing your vision for the future of Broadmeadow. Your insights will help us better understand how the area should grow and develop over the next 20 years.
There were over 3,100 visits to the webpage, and 406 people completed the survey. You can learn more about what was shared in our Community Consultation Summary Report.
We will continue to keep the community updated via our e-news, website updates and invitations to community events and information sessions.
- What is a Place Strategy? What will it do?
- Are Planning Proposals included in the Place Strategy?
- Why is Broadmeadow being considered, and not other parts of the City?
- Why are CN preparing the Place Strategy?
- What area in Broadmeadow forms part of the strategy?
- Why is the boundary different from the Hunter Regional Plan?
- How will the precinct be divided up to reflect unique areas?
- What is a structure plan?
- What is State-led rezoning?
- Where can I find further Information?
- Where will the re-zoning occur in Broadmeadow?
- Will there be affordable housing options available?
- What’s the difference between social and affordable housing and what’s being proposed as part of this project?
- What housing density will be allowed across the precinct?