Draft Development Control Plan 2023
The Draft Development Control Plan (DCP) 2023 has been prepared to guide future development of the Newcastle local government area, and to support our vision for a smart, liveable and sustainable global city. The DCP provides detailed planning and design guidelines to support the local planning controls in the Newcastle Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2012.
Why we're updating the DCP
We've conducted a comprehensive review of the DCP 2012. It has considered the relevance of our development controls, and whether they reflect best practice guidelines, adopted land use strategies, and City of Newcastle priorities. Once adopted, the DCP 2023 will replace the Newcastle DCP 2012.
The Draft DCP 2023 features a new structure and provides easier to use guidance on:
- liveable housing for aging in place and people with mobility needs
- infrastructure to encourage walking, cycling and public transport usage
- retention of trees, increased private landscaping and trees with industrial and residential development
- cool facades and design solutions to minimise urban heat
- local character area sections for Tighes Hill and Kotara.
Have Your Say
Thanks for your having your say! The Draft Development Control Plan was placed on public exhibition from Thursday 28 September to Friday 27 October 2023.
We're currently reviewing your feedback and will report back soon.