Thank you for your feedback, which helped us plan for the future of Hamilton’s historic and much-loved Gregson Park.
In 2020 City of Newcastle sought community feedback to help shape the future of this popular park, and this has been incorporated into the draft Gregson Park Masterplan which was on Public Exhibition from 25 August to 6 October 2021. The draft Masterplan aims to celebrate the European and Indigenous heritage of the site, while meeting the recreational needs of the local community. It includes a larger inclusive playspace in its existing location with nature play, water play and small yarning circle, a new community shelter on the former bowling club site, more shaded seating areas, potential for community gardens and kiosk, resurfaced tennis courts, additional active recreation facilities and upgraded amenities.
Heritage Plan of Management for Gregson Park
The existing Heritage Places Plan of Management for Gregson Park provides direction as to the use and management of the reserve. To achieve the intent and vision of the Gregson Park Masterplan, amendments are required, so the draft Heritage Places Plan of Management - Gregson Park Hamilton 2021 has also been developed, and we asked for feedback on these changes as part of the Public Exhibition. A public hearing was also held on Thursday 16 September 2021.
Thanks for your feedback
Thank you to those who had their say on the draft Gregson Park Masterplan and the proposed amendments to the Heritage Plan of Management during the public exhibition phase from August to October 2021. The draft Masterplan was refined in response to community feedback, which saw the addition of bike racks and bubblers, re-orientation of the basketball half court, relocation of the bat ball wall and improved seating configuration in the south-western corner of the park. The tennis clubhouse was also retained, noting that a Tennis Strategy will be developed to provide further insight into tennis facilities across Newcastle.
The Gregson Park Masterplan was adopted by Council on 23 November 2021.
- What is a Masterplan?
- What is included in the scope of the Gregson Park Masterplan?
- Are there plans for the current infrastructure?
- What other improvements are proposed in the Masterplan?
- Who is developing the Gregson Park Masterplan?
- What about the fig trees?
- What’s planned for the glasshouse?
- Has an off-leash dog park been considered for Gregson Park?
- How has the community been involved?
- Will the Indigenous community be consulted?
- Will any historical or traditional heritage elements be considered in the Masterplan process?
- Why is the Heritage Places Plan of Management for Gregson Park being updated?
- What are the main changes to the Plan of Management?
- When will upgrade work take place?